When Lex One says he’s “colder than a polar bear’s toenails,” on new single Polar Cool, just how cold is he talking? Well, let’s see… Ursus maritimus resides in the Arctic Circle, where temperatures can drop below ?50 °C (?58 °F) in the coldest months of the year and, while several inches of blubber serve to maintain their body heat, their claws are afforded no such protection. So, if my calculations are correct, that’s… pretty f**ing chilly. Despite the shiver inducing theme, the Florida-based rapper/producer’s latest single boasts a vibe as warm as the artist’s home state. Over his own exuberant, chopped-soul-sample boardwork, Lex and Different Over Here collaborator Streets Buchanon let their minds wander, pulling together such disparate topics as Little Caesar pizzas, Soul Calibur and Cornel West. Despite the playfully allusive tone, it’s clear they take their rhyme skills dead seriously – as Buchanon puts it, “Second coming of Christ on the mic? Dude, obviously.” That might be just a tough hyperbolic, but still, the net freshness on display should have heads reaching for a sweater. In addition to appearing on Lex’s G.T.P.S. Mixtape (out now) this cut is set for inclusion on forthcoming solo LP Ameture coming soon.
Written by richard on 03/28/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.