Leonard Friend‘s combo of falsetto vocals, erotic themes and eerie, slinky electronic production has earned him comparisons to everyone from Prince and Justin Timberlake to Robin Thicke and Jamie Lidell; in reality, though, there’s nobody out there who sounds quite like the Brooklyn-based singer and producer. Today, the artist returns to showcase his inimitable style once again on freshly-minted EP single Middle of the Night. More upbeat than the previously-featured Every Woman, this cut finds Friend layering Chipmunk-pitched vocal samples over a frantic, four-on-the-floor percussion rhythm and glossy ‘80s synths as he poses a romantic interest the rhetorical question, “Who’s gonna love you in the Middle of the Night?” Fans will be able to find this indie-R&B banger and plenty more where it came from on the artist’s next EP. Keep it locked for further details on the project, which as yet lacks both a title and a solid drop date.
Written by richard on 11/8/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Serious Music" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.