Leonard Friend‘s combo of falsetto vocals, erotic themes and eerie, slinky electronic production has earned him comparisons to everyone from Prince and Justin Timberlake to Robin Thicke and Jamie Lidell; in reality, though, there’s nobody out there who sounds quite like the Brooklyn-based singer and producer. Today, the artist returns to showcase his inimitable style once again on freshly-minted EP single Middle of the Night. More upbeat than the previously-featured Every Woman, this cut finds Friend layering Chipmunk-pitched vocal samples over a frantic, four-on-the-floor percussion rhythm and glossy ‘80s synths as he poses a romantic interest the rhetorical question, “Who’s gonna love you in the Middle of the Night?” Fans will be able to find this indie-R&B banger and plenty more where it came from on the artist’s next EP. Keep it locked for further details on the project, which as yet lacks both a title and a solid drop date.
Written by richard on 11/8/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Serious Music" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.