One of the major traditions in hip-hop is paying tribute to its “fallen soldiers;” while most will mention 2Pac and B.I.G. as the most revered members of this category, many females feel the same way about Aaliyah and Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes. Come January 27th, the TLC alumnus will be honored with a posthumous album, Eye Legacy composed of remixes and previously-unreleased songs. If some of you recognize some vocals from the new single, Block Party, that’s because it’s a remix of her first and only solo single (off Supernova). While most of Lopes’ raps are retained, Surefire and Marcus DL provide a brand new, up-tempo beat, with Clyde McKnight singing the hook. What will attract most listeners, however, is modern-day femcee Lil’ Mama‘s contribution to the festivities. While others may see it differently, I consider Block Party one of the few posthumous songs that does justice to the dearly-departed original. RIP Lisa Lopes (May 27, 1971 – April 25, 2002).
Mass Appeal/E1 Music
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.