One of the major traditions in hip-hop is paying tribute to its “fallen soldiers;” while most will mention 2Pac and B.I.G. as the most revered members of this category, many females feel the same way about Aaliyah and Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes. Come January 27th, the TLC alumnus will be honored with a posthumous album, Eye Legacy composed of remixes and previously-unreleased songs. If some of you recognize some vocals from the new single, Block Party, that’s because it’s a remix of her first and only solo single (off Supernova). While most of Lopes’ raps are retained, Surefire and Marcus DL provide a brand new, up-tempo beat, with Clyde McKnight singing the hook. What will attract most listeners, however, is modern-day femcee Lil’ Mama‘s contribution to the festivities. While others may see it differently, I consider Block Party one of the few posthumous songs that does justice to the dearly-departed original. RIP Lisa Lopes (May 27, 1971 – April 25, 2002).
Written by Burmy on 01/22/09
Submit your Rating
Mass Appeal/E1 Music
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (1/23)
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.