Some premises are so on-point that you can pretty much tell a record’s going to be quality just by hearing the TV Guide summary—think Stan (“An exchange of letters between a rapper and a obsessive fan dramatizes much-discussed questions of artistic responsibility”), or Face Down Ass Up (“See title”). On the opposite end of the spectrum, we have Jack Sparrow, the first Booth feature and latest single from Left Boy: “A Brooklyn hipster spits about weed, liquor and partying over an 8-bit rendition of the Pirates of the Caribbean Theme.” But, hey, nothing like a pleasant surprise, right? Here, Left Boy’s own Super Nintendo-style reworking of the film franchise’s Klaus Badelt-composed theme sets a fresh, fittingly off-kilter mood as the emcee showcases his unique brand of swag, lacing the beat with lines as hilarious as they are juvenile: “All across the seven seas, everyone can suck on these… nuts.” Jack Sparrow isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, but those digging the cut of this up-and-comer’s jib will find plenty more to crack them up on the record’s equally quirky video accompaniment, viewable at Left Boy’s official site.
Written by richard on 07/11/11
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.