With the passing of legendary singer Etta James this past January, I had plenty of friends who were devastated when they heard the tragic news. Most folks my age may not be familiar with Etta’s catalog, but I can assure you that whether it was a YouTube video or a sample on a Flo Rida record, we’ve all heard her voice at one point in our lives and said “damn.” Someone deeply affected by Etta’s passing was be R&B singer Leela James, who is gearing to release her upcoming tribute to the late singer, In the Spirit of Etta James. And what better way to keep her legacy alive and thriving than to remake it? Produced by Shannon Sanders and Drew Ramey, Something Got A Hold is Leela’s updated take of Etta’s legendary record brought into modern times and carrying a more uptempo feel. In The Spirit of Etta James will feature Leela’s versions of Etta songs, as well as some originals of her own. Nothing left to say but press play and experience Etta James’s music brought to life all over again.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 05/3/12
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Adrian Lau - The Departed
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- Drake - 6 God EP
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.