Hip-hop always tries to slap a label on artists - Are you underground? Club? Conscious? What are you? - but with genre-bending new artists like Lee Wilson that kind of easy categorization is becoming increasingly difficult. Making his DJBooth.net premiere with his blues/R&B/reggae/etc. flavored new single Soul Kiss (Remix), Lee Wilson at first has all the vocal stylings of a classic soul singer, but listen closer to his harmonies and you’ll hear influences ranging from Spanish singer Marc Anthony to R&B legend Babyface. Fittingly, fellow boundary breaker Mos Def joins Wilson on the Soul Kiss, displaying the same back-to-basics rap style he displayed on his recently released album The Ecstatic. Will Wilson’s unique style translate into a hit, or does his diverse approach miss the mark? That’s up to DJBooth listeners to decide. Wilson’s new album She’s the Girl is available for download now. Steer your browser to theleewilsonmovement.blogspot.com for all the latest from this promising new artist!
Written by Nathan S. on 10/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Do You ft. ft. Joell Ortiz & Lee Wilson" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.