Hip-hop always tries to slap a label on artists - Are you underground? Club? Conscious? What are you? - but with genre-bending new artists like Lee Wilson that kind of easy categorization is becoming increasingly difficult. Making his DJBooth.net premiere with his blues/R&B/reggae/etc. flavored new single Soul Kiss (Remix), Lee Wilson at first has all the vocal stylings of a classic soul singer, but listen closer to his harmonies and you’ll hear influences ranging from Spanish singer Marc Anthony to R&B legend Babyface. Fittingly, fellow boundary breaker Mos Def joins Wilson on the Soul Kiss, displaying the same back-to-basics rap style he displayed on his recently released album The Ecstatic. Will Wilson’s unique style translate into a hit, or does his diverse approach miss the mark? That’s up to DJBooth listeners to decide. Wilson’s new album She’s the Girl is available for download now. Steer your browser to theleewilsonmovement.blogspot.com for all the latest from this promising new artist!
Written by Nathan S. on 10/1/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Do You ft. ft. Joell Ortiz & Lee Wilson" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)