Booth newcomer Lecs Luther may call Dublin, Ireland home, but the 17-year-old rhymesayer would fit right in among the precocious, diabolically clever wunderkinder currently building their buzz on both U.S. coasts. Cut from a similar cloth as Joey Bad@$$ (who shares his DOOM influence) and Odd Future (in their mellower moments), the up-and-comer nonetheless showcases an intellectually blunted style all his own on new promo single Meddling Loops. Released along with eclectic, animated visuals by Jitterbug Productions, the record finds Luther mixing hazy wordplay and internal rhyme with fragmentary reflections on current and historic racial politics: “Deadlocked, share-crop cotton-picker with no socks, Nike Airmax, balaclava matchin’ the pink socks / Starin’ the judge in his f**kin’ mug, I’m so goon, I spit these rhymes porky for the pigs that drink their coffee, too.” Joining the headliner over his own headnodic sample work (as Rejjie Snow), fellow UK buzzmakers Crave and Jesse James contribute equally intricate, deadpan guest rhymes. This joint is unattached to any forthcoming project, but fans should stay tuned—I have a feeling we’ll be hearing more from Lecs and company in the near future.
Written by richard on 06/26/12
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.