Like many in the game, Lecrae grew up without a father, and bears the emotional scars to prove it. On new mixtape single Was It Worth It, the Christian hip-hop heavyweight reflects with incredulity on what could motivate someone to pass up all the birthdays, holidays and graduations he finds so rewarding, now that he has a son of his own. In his middle verse, guest emcee Derek Minor connects the dots between hero worship in hip-hop and rappers’ childhood struggles: “A lot of rap dudes grew up without a daddy / That’s why we want approval from Nas like he family.” Crystal Nicole (aka Cry$tyle) jumps on Dirty Rice‘s understated beat to deliver a guest hook, as well as backing vocals throughout the cut. Church Clothes, Vol. 2 is scheduled to hit iTunes this Friday, November 8. It will also be available in a free edition hosted by DJ Don Cannon.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Live & Let Live" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.