Like many in the game, Lecrae grew up without a father, and bears the emotional scars to prove it. On new mixtape single Was It Worth It, the Christian hip-hop heavyweight reflects with incredulity on what could motivate someone to pass up all the birthdays, holidays and graduations he finds so rewarding, now that he has a son of his own. In his middle verse, guest emcee Derek Minor connects the dots between hero worship in hip-hop and rappers’ childhood struggles: “A lot of rap dudes grew up without a daddy / That’s why we want approval from Nas like he family.” Crystal Nicole (aka Cry$tyle) jumps on Dirty Rice‘s understated beat to deliver a guest hook, as well as backing vocals throughout the cut. Church Clothes, Vol. 2 is scheduled to hit iTunes this Friday, November 8. It will also be available in a free edition hosted by DJ Don Cannon.
Written by richard on 11/6/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Live & Let Live" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.