Like many in the game, Lecrae grew up without a father, and bears the emotional scars to prove it. On new mixtape single Was It Worth It, the Christian hip-hop heavyweight reflects with incredulity on what could motivate someone to pass up all the birthdays, holidays and graduations he finds so rewarding, now that he has a son of his own. In his middle verse, guest emcee Derek Minor connects the dots between hero worship in hip-hop and rappers’ childhood struggles: “A lot of rap dudes grew up without a daddy / That’s why we want approval from Nas like he family.” Crystal Nicole (aka Cry$tyle) jumps on Dirty Rice‘s understated beat to deliver a guest hook, as well as backing vocals throughout the cut. Church Clothes, Vol. 2 is scheduled to hit iTunes this Friday, November 8. It will also be available in a free edition hosted by DJ Don Cannon.
Written by richard on 11/6/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Live & Let Live" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.