Like many in the game, Lecrae grew up without a father, and bears the emotional scars to prove it. On new mixtape single Was It Worth It, the Christian hip-hop heavyweight reflects with incredulity on what could motivate someone to pass up all the birthdays, holidays and graduations he finds so rewarding, now that he has a son of his own. In his middle verse, guest emcee Derek Minor connects the dots between hero worship in hip-hop and rappers’ childhood struggles: “A lot of rap dudes grew up without a daddy / That’s why we want approval from Nas like he family.” Crystal Nicole (aka Cry$tyle) jumps on Dirty Rice‘s understated beat to deliver a guest hook, as well as backing vocals throughout the cut. Church Clothes, Vol. 2 is scheduled to hit iTunes this Friday, November 8. It will also be available in a free edition hosted by DJ Don Cannon.
Written by richard on 11/6/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Live & Let Live" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.