Contrary to popular belief, wisdom isn’t something that accumulates in your brain like interest in a savings account, somehow ripening into its fullness as your hair starts to gray. On the contrary, it’s all about life experience—something that Raleigh repper Lazaurus has packed a lot of into his 24 years on this earth. Previously heard sharing his insights into life’s struggles on SkyBlew‘s Blizzard in N.C., the artist makes his solo Booth debut with Hey Baby, a Booth-exclusive world premiere. D.R.U.G.S. handles production duties, flipping a slow-rolling soul sample as the artists teaches us a poetic lesson on focus, forward momentum and stick-to-itiveness: “I wonder if butterflies remember caterpillar days / Go back and kick it with their caterpillar friends / Or do they fly and leave the caterpillar ways behind? You’re wastin’ tinme reminiscin’...” In the process, he exhibits a gruff melodic flow that had me thinking of Booth fave Cymarshall Law—anyone else hear it? More importantly, are you digging Lazurus’ style? If you answered “Yes” to the latter, you won’t want to miss the artist’s DreamScape LP when it hits store shelves and online retailers November 11.
Written by richard on 09/11/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"So To Myself I Say" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.