Contrary to popular belief, wisdom isn’t something that accumulates in your brain like interest in a savings account, somehow ripening into its fullness as your hair starts to gray. On the contrary, it’s all about life experience—something that Raleigh repper Lazaurus has packed a lot of into his 24 years on this earth. Previously heard sharing his insights into life’s struggles on SkyBlew‘s Blizzard in N.C., the artist makes his solo Booth debut with Hey Baby, a Booth-exclusive world premiere. D.R.U.G.S. handles production duties, flipping a slow-rolling soul sample as the artists teaches us a poetic lesson on focus, forward momentum and stick-to-itiveness: “I wonder if butterflies remember caterpillar days / Go back and kick it with their caterpillar friends / Or do they fly and leave the caterpillar ways behind? You’re wastin’ tinme reminiscin’...” In the process, he exhibits a gruff melodic flow that had me thinking of Booth fave Cymarshall Law—anyone else hear it? More importantly, are you digging Lazurus’ style? If you answered “Yes” to the latter, you won’t want to miss the artist’s DreamScape LP when it hits store shelves and online retailers November 11.
Written by richard on 09/11/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"So To Myself I Say" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)