Contrary to popular belief, wisdom isn’t something that accumulates in your brain like interest in a savings account, somehow ripening into its fullness as your hair starts to gray. On the contrary, it’s all about life experience—something that Raleigh repper Lazaurus has packed a lot of into his 24 years on this earth. Previously heard sharing his insights into life’s struggles on SkyBlew‘s Blizzard in N.C., the artist makes his solo Booth debut with Hey Baby, a Booth-exclusive world premiere. D.R.U.G.S. handles production duties, flipping a slow-rolling soul sample as the artists teaches us a poetic lesson on focus, forward momentum and stick-to-itiveness: “I wonder if butterflies remember caterpillar days / Go back and kick it with their caterpillar friends / Or do they fly and leave the caterpillar ways behind? You’re wastin’ tinme reminiscin’...” In the process, he exhibits a gruff melodic flow that had me thinking of Booth fave Cymarshall Law—anyone else hear it? More importantly, are you digging Lazurus’ style? If you answered “Yes” to the latter, you won’t want to miss the artist’s DreamScape LP when it hits store shelves and online retailers November 11.
Written by richard on 09/11/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"So To Myself I Say" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)