Since dropping their debut full-length, Neighborhood Rapstar, and subsequently adopting the stage names Laze & Royal, the duo formerly known as 2XL have shifted their musical focus to crafting surefire pop hits. With Performer, the brothers continue in the vein of prior buzz single Like A Pistol, waxing poetic about a certain young lady’s smooth moves, both on the dancefloor and… elsewhere. Hook singer Solo (who sounds like a mixture of R. Kelly & Ne-Yo) adds to the track’s pop appeal, but it’s the duo’s high-energy beat that will earn them a round of applause even from listeners left unimpressed by their verses. In a nutshell, Performer has all the makings of a radio smash—here’s hoping it’s enough to get the brothers’ sophomore album, Hollywood Ate Me Alive!, a solid release date.
Written by Burmy on 08/3/09
Submit your Rating
Warner Bros. Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Magic City" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.