Layne Harper‘s last Booth feature, the Valentine’s Day-themed A Thing Called Love, found the Memphis representative sharing his theories on the ins and outs of modern romance. On his latest effort, a new single off his just-released album, he turns his lyrical gaze inward, spitting about his struggles to love the man in the mirror. Luke Witherspoon III mans the mixing boards on Broken Promises, layering melancholy strings over a clicking, stop-start percussion rhythm as Harper chronicles the battle with self-doubt that followed his split with a long-term girlfriend. On the vocoded hook and outro, the emcee exhibits an almost Kanye-esque ability to convey emotion through vocal manipulation. This poignant jam is part of free album Beale St. Blues, released last month and available now for free download via the artist’s official site.
Written by richard on 07/8/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.