Layne Harper‘s last Booth feature, the Valentine’s Day-themed A Thing Called Love, found the Memphis representative sharing his theories on the ins and outs of modern romance. On his latest effort, a new single off his just-released album, he turns his lyrical gaze inward, spitting about his struggles to love the man in the mirror. Luke Witherspoon III mans the mixing boards on Broken Promises, layering melancholy strings over a clicking, stop-start percussion rhythm as Harper chronicles the battle with self-doubt that followed his split with a long-term girlfriend. On the vocoded hook and outro, the emcee exhibits an almost Kanye-esque ability to convey emotion through vocal manipulation. This poignant jam is part of free album Beale St. Blues, released last month and available now for free download via the artist’s official site.
Written by richard on 07/8/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)