Layne Harper‘s last Booth feature, the Valentine’s Day-themed A Thing Called Love, found the Memphis representative sharing his theories on the ins and outs of modern romance. On his latest effort, a new single off his just-released album, he turns his lyrical gaze inward, spitting about his struggles to love the man in the mirror. Luke Witherspoon III mans the mixing boards on Broken Promises, layering melancholy strings over a clicking, stop-start percussion rhythm as Harper chronicles the battle with self-doubt that followed his split with a long-term girlfriend. On the vocoded hook and outro, the emcee exhibits an almost Kanye-esque ability to convey emotion through vocal manipulation. This poignant jam is part of free album Beale St. Blues, released last month and available now for free download via the artist’s official site.
Written by richard on 07/8/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)