Ladies and gentlemen, meet Your Future Favorite Rapper. Though the title of Laws’ first feature oozes confidence, the Spring Hill, Florida, rapper wasn’t always so self-assured – in fact, self-doubt along with difficult life circumstances almost derailed his dreams entirely. On this new cut, the title track of his latest mixtape, the up-and-comer recounts his musical journey’s every twist and turn, backed by heavyweight production trio J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League‘s subdued synth-choral boardwork. Describing his father’s issues with alcoholism, his mother’s reaction to his decision to drop out of school, his early struggles in the rap game, the fateful call that resulted into his signing with J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League/Asylum/Warner Bros, and quite a bit more, Laws packs a lot of plot and detail into this cut’s hookless, less-than-three minute running time; by the time it’s finished, the artist almost feels like an old friend. The question, however, remains: does Laws have the potential to become one of your all-time faves? Listen to his new, DJ Smallz-hosted mixtape (released last Tuesday and available for download here) and decide for yourself.
Written by richard on 12/2/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Number One" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.