Ladies and gentlemen, meet Your Future Favorite Rapper. Though the title of Laws’ first feature oozes confidence, the Spring Hill, Florida, rapper wasn’t always so self-assured – in fact, self-doubt along with difficult life circumstances almost derailed his dreams entirely. On this new cut, the title track of his latest mixtape, the up-and-comer recounts his musical journey’s every twist and turn, backed by heavyweight production trio J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League‘s subdued synth-choral boardwork. Describing his father’s issues with alcoholism, his mother’s reaction to his decision to drop out of school, his early struggles in the rap game, the fateful call that resulted into his signing with J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League/Asylum/Warner Bros, and quite a bit more, Laws packs a lot of plot and detail into this cut’s hookless, less-than-three minute running time; by the time it’s finished, the artist almost feels like an old friend. The question, however, remains: does Laws have the potential to become one of your all-time faves? Listen to his new, DJ Smallz-hosted mixtape (released last Tuesday and available for download here) and decide for yourself.
Written by richard on 12/2/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Number One" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.