Damn, Laws breakthrough mixtape 4:57 is the hip-hop gift that keeps giving. Originally hosted, along with its more recent cousin 5:01, by DJBooth (pause for self-congratulatory pat on the back), 4:57 earned fans nationwide for its old school-meets-new-school sound, a sound exemplified by Runaway, a song Laws is currently considering releasing as an official single. Produced by J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League, who craft a simultaneously haunting and hard-edged beat (anyone know where that sample is from?), Runaway finds a starkly honest Laws telling the story of a relationship that went wrong in every possible way, mostly because of his failings: “I can tell by the look that I get in her eyes, that I took everything, now she empty inside.” This is more than just music, this is catharsis. So how about it Booth? Should Runaway be Laws’ next single? And before you say it’s too dark, let me remind you that Eminem’s Love the Way You Lie is currently ruling the charts. I’m sure Laws is reading, let him know your thoughts below. And to the seven people who have yet to download 4:57 and 5:01, get on it.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/24/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Your Future Favorite Rapper" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.