Damn, Laws breakthrough mixtape 4:57 is the hip-hop gift that keeps giving. Originally hosted, along with its more recent cousin 5:01, by DJBooth (pause for self-congratulatory pat on the back), 4:57 earned fans nationwide for its old school-meets-new-school sound, a sound exemplified by Runaway, a song Laws is currently considering releasing as an official single. Produced by J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League, who craft a simultaneously haunting and hard-edged beat (anyone know where that sample is from?), Runaway finds a starkly honest Laws telling the story of a relationship that went wrong in every possible way, mostly because of his failings: “I can tell by the look that I get in her eyes, that I took everything, now she empty inside.” This is more than just music, this is catharsis. So how about it Booth? Should Runaway be Laws’ next single? And before you say it’s too dark, let me remind you that Eminem’s Love the Way You Lie is currently ruling the charts. I’m sure Laws is reading, let him know your thoughts below. And to the seven people who have yet to download 4:57 and 5:01, get on it.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/24/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Your Future Favorite Rapper" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.