There’s something about the first leak from SMKA’s upcoming The 808 Experiment Vol. 3, called Live My Life, that I simply can’t get enough of. Let me try to explain: Producers SMKA set the mood with a zapping, extra-terrestrial sounding beat over which Southern emcees Laws and Thee Tom Hardy rhyme about staying original and dodging hip hop’s giant, soul-snatching cookie cutter. While the buzzing alien synth competes with the simple bass line, Laws flows first, taking a subtle jab at all the imitators out there: “We both made by the same machine but I’m sorry / You Johnny Number Five, I’m Wall-E.” Next is North Carolina’s Hardy whose style takes me back to the golden days of Field Mob and Nappy Roots as he throws the same punches at frauds. Live My Life bears many resemblances to Outkast in its country boy, experimental-but-dope swagger (major props to SMKA by the way for making me bob my head to alien sounds). No doubt we could be looking at some rap pioneers in the making with Laws, Thee Tom Hardy, and SMKA. Keep it locked more 808 experimentation, coming soon.
Written by CourtlandHH on 03/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Your Future Favorite Rapper" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Logic - Buried Alive
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.