There’s something about the first leak from SMKA’s upcoming The 808 Experiment Vol. 3, called Live My Life, that I simply can’t get enough of. Let me try to explain: Producers SMKA set the mood with a zapping, extra-terrestrial sounding beat over which Southern emcees Laws and Thee Tom Hardy rhyme about staying original and dodging hip hop’s giant, soul-snatching cookie cutter. While the buzzing alien synth competes with the simple bass line, Laws flows first, taking a subtle jab at all the imitators out there: “We both made by the same machine but I’m sorry / You Johnny Number Five, I’m Wall-E.” Next is North Carolina’s Hardy whose style takes me back to the golden days of Field Mob and Nappy Roots as he throws the same punches at frauds. Live My Life bears many resemblances to Outkast in its country boy, experimental-but-dope swagger (major props to SMKA by the way for making me bob my head to alien sounds). No doubt we could be looking at some rap pioneers in the making with Laws, Thee Tom Hardy, and SMKA. Keep it locked more 808 experimentation, coming soon.
Written by CourtlandHH on 03/14/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Your Future Favorite Rapper" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.