There’s something about the first leak from SMKA’s upcoming The 808 Experiment Vol. 3, called Live My Life, that I simply can’t get enough of. Let me try to explain: Producers SMKA set the mood with a zapping, extra-terrestrial sounding beat over which Southern emcees Laws and Thee Tom Hardy rhyme about staying original and dodging hip hop’s giant, soul-snatching cookie cutter. While the buzzing alien synth competes with the simple bass line, Laws flows first, taking a subtle jab at all the imitators out there: “We both made by the same machine but I’m sorry / You Johnny Number Five, I’m Wall-E.” Next is North Carolina’s Hardy whose style takes me back to the golden days of Field Mob and Nappy Roots as he throws the same punches at frauds. Live My Life bears many resemblances to Outkast in its country boy, experimental-but-dope swagger (major props to SMKA by the way for making me bob my head to alien sounds). No doubt we could be looking at some rap pioneers in the making with Laws, Thee Tom Hardy, and SMKA. Keep it locked more 808 experimentation, coming soon.
Written by CourtlandHH on 03/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Your Future Favorite Rapper" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)