Considering his enormously successful 4:57 PM mixtape kicked off 2010, it’s only right that we close out the year with rising star Laws and his brand new record Lady Hip Hop. With a title like that I immediately thought of Common’s classic I Used to Love H.E.R., but instead of crafting a love letter to hip-hop itself, Laws has a slightly more specific female in mind – one more likely to strike a b-girl stance on the dance floor than pop her booty. With enigmatically named producer Feb 9 crafting an appropriately light but still percussively driven beat for the Florida emcee, Laws delves into his ideal lady in depth, explaining he’s looking for a female with a dope taste in music: “Think I’m goin’ long term like an OG / radio cool, but she prefers M.O.P.” Quick word of advice for the fellas: if you’ve got a girl like that, don’t let her go. Speaking of women who love hip-hop, this song, along with new material from the likes of Gibbs, Skeme and more, can be found on Ashley Outrageous Presents: The Playlist Vol. 2, due to lace our collective headphones “soon”.
Written by Jon Garcia on 12/19/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Your Future Favorite Rapper" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.