If you have an amazing memory, you may recall the April 2010 interview in which Laws expressed his admiration for the solo work of Sir Paul McCartney, and stated his intent to record a “virtual collaboration” with the ex-Beatle. Fast-forward a year and change, and we finally get our first taste of the project. If you need proof of concept, lead single Dear Boy should be just the thing to allay your doubts. The J.U.S.T.I.C.E. League, Laws’ label bosses, handle production duties, drawing their piano-led beat from a track of the same title off 1971’s Ram LP. For his part, the freestyle series alumnus plays creatively off the source material, reinterpreting its chorus into a taunt directed at the haters who plagued him from day one. Though he allowed their non-constructive criticism to ruffle his feathers at first, he soon came to the realization that “...if I didn’t believe in myself, no one else would.” As catchy as it is insightful, Dear Boy is proof that Laws and McCartney are two musical tastes that taste great together – or have I got it twisted? Those who agree should cop Yesterday’s Future when it hits the ‘net May 24, as well as watching out for Laws’ contribution to the Booth’s forthcoming mixtape with New Era.
Written by richard on 05/19/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Your Future Favorite Rapper" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.