Last Wednesday evening, Chris Kelly of hitmaking 1990’s duo Kris Kross tragically died at the age of 34, allegedly due to his use of heroin in conjunction with cocaine. Compelled to speak out by the loss of her former labelmate (along with a looming deadline from Sony Records, with whom she recently signed a $1 million, five-song deal), Lauryn Hill strikes back against the “unhealthy paradigms” pervading our culture on a new promo single. Unsurprisingly considering the Fugees alum’s provocative recent behavior and statements, Neurotic Society (Compulsory Mix) is, quite frankly, a little out there. Over an uncredited beatsmith’s tumultuous synth boardwork, Hill delivers dense, fragmentary bars saturated with historical and political allusions. Is L. Boogie’s latest effort the indication of a bold, new creative direction, or a disappointing dive off the deep end? That’s for y’all to decide. Whatever your take on the record, you can keep it locked to our pages for further releases from the elusive industry vet.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.