Don’t let Booth newcomer Lauriana Mae‘s innocent appearance and vintage-inspired style fool you. When it comes to sex and romance, the Atlantic Records pop songstress is hardly shy. In fact, her latest EP single is about as straight-up as you can get while still nursing hopes of radio airplay. If you didn’t immediately guess from the title, Like a Drum (Beat It) finds Mae using percussion as a thinly—and I mean thinly—veiled euphemism for the other kind of banging. Veteran beatsmith Kwame‘s gets eclectic on the production tip, layering modern-pop synth arpeggios over a jazzy, horn-fortified rhythm section as the Jersey crooner tests how far you can push a double entendre before it becomes singular. (”I want you hittin’ with conviction,” is one thing, but I can’t think of a music-related situation in which you’d utter the sentence, “I feel like an animal, wanna take off all my clothes.”) Has Lauriana Mae succeeded in seducing you with this bold and brassy selection? Like a Drum and two more original jams can be found on debut EP Love Mae, available now on iTunes.
Written by richard on 12/19/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Suicide Bomb" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.