Depending on how close you get, flames can keep you warm or char you to the bone. The same (metaphorically speaking) holds true for the man Booth newcomer Laurel addresses on her latest promo single, Fire Breather. The Southampton, UK representative showcases her chops as a vocalist, a songwriter and a beatsmith on this stark, sultry selection; the artist’s own reverb-drenched percussion, woozy synths and chopped samples accompany her as she struggles with her attraction to a dangerously alluring new guy. Though her breathy verses seem to depict her fully in his thrall, she tears herself free on the chorus, shouting, “No! It’s too much.” Patrick Killingbeck directs the moody accompanying visuals. Has this ambivalent cut piqued your interest? Then keep it locked; Fire Breather isn’t attached to a larger set, but we in the Booth will keep you posted on the Turn First signee’s plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 02/11/14
Submit your Rating
Turn First Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"To the Hills" (2014)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.