At one point or another, every talented emcee has to walk the line between making money and selling out. When you sell out, you lose dignity but gain endorsements and a nice paycheck; when you are Soul’d Out like LaShaun Ellis, you only get into more and more trouble. On this potent cut, Lashaun Ellis exorcises a few demons, showcasing his passionate, gritty flow as he rhymes about about struggling to pay the bills, losing friends and family, and the hardships that are attached to keeping his head above water. Adding to the desperate, hostile vibe, Khompono cooks up a foggy backdrop featuring an alarm-like synth and a striking vocal sample. This record, just now getting a lonely, bleak visual treatment, can be found on Ellis’s self-titled LP, which was released for free download this past November.
Written by Lucas G. on 02/17/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)