What were you doing in 1995? I’d like to say I was balling hard and listening to the best of what hip-hop had to offer but, to be honest, I spent most of the year sitting around in PJs, watching Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Orlando-born rhymesayer Lafayette Stokely was still in Pampers when Me Against the World dropped, but dreams of rap stardom were already germinating in his three-year-old-brain. On his latest single, a Booth-exclusive world premiere, he dredges the depths of his childhood memories, chronicling his transformation from one bad motherf**king toddler into the hustler he is today. Bolarino provides an era-appropriate instrumental backdrop for his bars. For this nostalgia-laced banger, previous single Comin’ From the City and more, check out Stokely’s Life’s Journey: Life Goes On LP, out now.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Lafayette Stokely’s Jahmel Reynolds-directed 1995 visual.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Corner Store Blues" (2012)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.