As we saw in the reader reviews for Jigsaw lead single I Got You Dancing, Lady Sovereign‘s grimy take on hip-hop is a far cry from what many American ears are used to. Be that as it may, the British femcee’s latest single selection reveals that she shares at least one trait with her stateside counterparts: an obsession with money. In the course of two jittery verses, Sov warns all listening to keep their grubby hands off her Pennies—or else! I Got You Dancing producer Medasyn heightens the paranoid vibe, delivering a buzzing, synth-driven instrumental that builds to a claustrophobic climax only to segue into a surprisingly melodic bridge. This cut is sure to puzzle (ha) some, but those who can appreciate Lady Sovereign’s chaotically creative take on hip-hop would do well to spend a few Pennies on her newly-released sophomore LP.
Written by richard on 04/9/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Love Me Or Hate Me (Remix) ft. Missy Elliot" (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)