As we saw in the reader reviews for Jigsaw lead single I Got You Dancing, Lady Sovereign‘s grimy take on hip-hop is a far cry from what many American ears are used to. Be that as it may, the British femcee’s latest single selection reveals that she shares at least one trait with her stateside counterparts: an obsession with money. In the course of two jittery verses, Sov warns all listening to keep their grubby hands off her Pennies—or else! I Got You Dancing producer Medasyn heightens the paranoid vibe, delivering a buzzing, synth-driven instrumental that builds to a claustrophobic climax only to segue into a surprisingly melodic bridge. This cut is sure to puzzle (ha) some, but those who can appreciate Lady Sovereign’s chaotically creative take on hip-hop would do well to spend a few Pennies on her newly-released sophomore LP.
Written by richard on 04/9/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Love Me Or Hate Me (Remix) ft. Missy Elliot" (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.