As we saw in the reader reviews for Jigsaw lead single I Got You Dancing, Lady Sovereign‘s grimy take on hip-hop is a far cry from what many American ears are used to. Be that as it may, the British femcee’s latest single selection reveals that she shares at least one trait with her stateside counterparts: an obsession with money. In the course of two jittery verses, Sov warns all listening to keep their grubby hands off her Pennies—or else! I Got You Dancing producer Medasyn heightens the paranoid vibe, delivering a buzzing, synth-driven instrumental that builds to a claustrophobic climax only to segue into a surprisingly melodic bridge. This cut is sure to puzzle (ha) some, but those who can appreciate Lady Sovereign’s chaotically creative take on hip-hop would do well to spend a few Pennies on her newly-released sophomore LP.
Written by richard on 04/9/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Love Me Or Hate Me (Remix)" (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.