As we saw in the reader reviews for Jigsaw lead single I Got You Dancing, Lady Sovereign‘s grimy take on hip-hop is a far cry from what many American ears are used to. Be that as it may, the British femcee’s latest single selection reveals that she shares at least one trait with her stateside counterparts: an obsession with money. In the course of two jittery verses, Sov warns all listening to keep their grubby hands off her Pennies—or else! I Got You Dancing producer Medasyn heightens the paranoid vibe, delivering a buzzing, synth-driven instrumental that builds to a claustrophobic climax only to segue into a surprisingly melodic bridge. This cut is sure to puzzle (ha) some, but those who can appreciate Lady Sovereign’s chaotically creative take on hip-hop would do well to spend a few Pennies on her newly-released sophomore LP.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Love Me Or Hate Me (Remix) ft. Missy Elliot" (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.