As we saw in the reader reviews for Jigsaw lead single I Got You Dancing, Lady Sovereign‘s grimy take on hip-hop is a far cry from what many American ears are used to. Be that as it may, the British femcee’s latest single selection reveals that she shares at least one trait with her stateside counterparts: an obsession with money. In the course of two jittery verses, Sov warns all listening to keep their grubby hands off her Pennies—or else! I Got You Dancing producer Medasyn heightens the paranoid vibe, delivering a buzzing, synth-driven instrumental that builds to a claustrophobic climax only to segue into a surprisingly melodic bridge. This cut is sure to puzzle (ha) some, but those who can appreciate Lady Sovereign’s chaotically creative take on hip-hop would do well to spend a few Pennies on her newly-released sophomore LP.
Written by richard on 04/9/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Love Me Or Hate Me (Remix)" (2006)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.