“We’re going through a Recession.” Truer words have never been sung, but can you really write a hit record about being too strapped for cash to pick up ladies at the local spot? R&B up-and-comer L Jaye‘s latest promo single (making its exclusive world premiere right here in the Booth) finds him attempting just that; over Rondeau “Duke” Williams catchy, synth-piano instrumental, the singer laments the costs of living and loving during tough economic times. Yeah, the topic’s a downer, but, with the right dose of dry humor, it makes for an entertaining listen—it’s hard not to crack up when, after deadpanning the entire track, the singer breaks into an Autotuned wail of “I’m so bro-o-o-o-o-oke!” Perhaps the biggest draw here is the opening verse, which comes courtesy of a Booth favorite who may not have to worry about the bills for much longer—Brooklyn-based emcee Pay$0z, who comes correct on the track’s front end, is currently in talks with several major labels. Stay tuned throughout the summer for more new tunes from this rising R&B star, as well as the release of Pay’s long-awaited, DJBooth.net-cosponsored Against the Grain LP.
Written by richard on 06/14/09
Submit your Rating
Rush World Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gotta Make It [Premiere]" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 4 EP
- One Song to Prove Big Sean is a Dope Rapper (Really)
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.