“We’re going through a Recession.” Truer words have never been sung, but can you really write a hit record about being too strapped for cash to pick up ladies at the local spot? R&B up-and-comer L Jaye‘s latest promo single (making its exclusive world premiere right here in the Booth) finds him attempting just that; over Rondeau “Duke” Williams catchy, synth-piano instrumental, the singer laments the costs of living and loving during tough economic times. Yeah, the topic’s a downer, but, with the right dose of dry humor, it makes for an entertaining listen—it’s hard not to crack up when, after deadpanning the entire track, the singer breaks into an Autotuned wail of “I’m so bro-o-o-o-o-oke!” Perhaps the biggest draw here is the opening verse, which comes courtesy of a Booth favorite who may not have to worry about the bills for much longer—Brooklyn-based emcee Pay$0z, who comes correct on the track’s front end, is currently in talks with several major labels. Stay tuned throughout the summer for more new tunes from this rising R&B star, as well as the release of Pay’s long-awaited, DJBooth.net-cosponsored Against the Grain LP.
Written by richard on 06/14/09
Rush World Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gotta Make It [Premiere]" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.