“We’re going through a Recession.” Truer words have never been sung, but can you really write a hit record about being too strapped for cash to pick up ladies at the local spot? R&B up-and-comer L Jaye‘s latest promo single (making its exclusive world premiere right here in the Booth) finds him attempting just that; over Rondeau “Duke” Williams catchy, synth-piano instrumental, the singer laments the costs of living and loving during tough economic times. Yeah, the topic’s a downer, but, with the right dose of dry humor, it makes for an entertaining listen—it’s hard not to crack up when, after deadpanning the entire track, the singer breaks into an Autotuned wail of “I’m so bro-o-o-o-o-oke!” Perhaps the biggest draw here is the opening verse, which comes courtesy of a Booth favorite who may not have to worry about the bills for much longer—Brooklyn-based emcee Pay$0z, who comes correct on the track’s front end, is currently in talks with several major labels. Stay tuned throughout the summer for more new tunes from this rising R&B star, as well as the release of Pay’s long-awaited, DJBooth.net-cosponsored Against the Grain LP.
Written by richard on 06/14/09
Submit your Rating
Rush World Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gotta Make It [Premiere]" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.