What have Kyle Rapps and Diwon been up to since January, when they hooked up with The DJBooth to drop their Tyrone Gosling FreEP? Well, they’ve been spending many an hour in front of the tube. Which isn’t to say they’ve been slacking—on the contrary, it’s vital research fior their next collaborative project, which finds them drawing inspiration from a variety of populars TV programs. Following non-featured cuts Breaking Bad and Mr. Rogers, final song release Portlandia finds Diwon flipping the popular IFC sketch comedy’s opening theme, Washed Up’s Feel It All Around, into a hazy, slow-rolling hip-hop soundcape. Rapps turns in a compelling performance on the mic, touting his indie cred (“Sometimes I feel like I’m so underground ever I can’t see me.”) and his ability to kill it live before switching focus to revisit his formative years in the ‘hood. Syndication is scheduled for digital release October 17; that same evening, Kyle Rapps and Diwon will also be performing as part of a Scion-sponsored CMJ showcase at Brooklyn venue The Paperbox.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hard Knock Children" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.