What have Kyle Rapps and Diwon been up to since January, when they hooked up with The DJBooth to drop their Tyrone Gosling FreEP? Well, they’ve been spending many an hour in front of the tube. Which isn’t to say they’ve been slacking—on the contrary, it’s vital research fior their next collaborative project, which finds them drawing inspiration from a variety of populars TV programs. Following non-featured cuts Breaking Bad and Mr. Rogers, final song release Portlandia finds Diwon flipping the popular IFC sketch comedy’s opening theme, Washed Up’s Feel It All Around, into a hazy, slow-rolling hip-hop soundcape. Rapps turns in a compelling performance on the mic, touting his indie cred (“Sometimes I feel like I’m so underground ever I can’t see me.”) and his ability to kill it live before switching focus to revisit his formative years in the ‘hood. Syndication is scheduled for digital release October 17; that same evening, Kyle Rapps and Diwon will also be performing as part of a Scion-sponsored CMJ showcase at Brooklyn venue The Paperbox.
Written by richard on 10/12/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Hard Knock Children" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.