So called “emo rap” and hip-hop have always had an uneasy relationship, but recently the hybrid has produced some sick music. Kid Cudi could be considered an “emo-rapper” and Kanye West’s 808s and Heartbreak might be the most mainstream example. DJBooth regular Kyle Lucas takes the genre to another level on his brand new Queen of Apologies, which samples the track of the same name by The Sounds. Producers Patrick Stump & Simon Illa know exactly when to bring the original sample in and when to let Lucas do his thing, as the up-and-coming natural born lyricist spits lines about a past (kind of messed up) love on the track, showing some true emotion when he says, “I’m trying to get over her, trying to stomach all the thoughts and seeing her with someone else.” Regardless of how you feel about or define “emo rap,” this is just good music. Queen of Apologies is off HipNOTT Records’ 2010 Takeover Vol. 1, dropping Monday, January 11 right here on DJBooth.net.
Listen to More: Kyle Lucas
Written by matt juss on 01/10/10
Purple Ribbon Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The New Light" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.