So called “emo rap” and hip-hop have always had an uneasy relationship, but recently the hybrid has produced some sick music. Kid Cudi could be considered an “emo-rapper” and Kanye West’s 808s and Heartbreak might be the most mainstream example. DJBooth regular Kyle Lucas takes the genre to another level on his brand new Queen of Apologies, which samples the track of the same name by The Sounds. Producers Patrick Stump & Simon Illa know exactly when to bring the original sample in and when to let Lucas do his thing, as the up-and-coming natural born lyricist spits lines about a past (kind of messed up) love on the track, showing some true emotion when he says, “I’m trying to get over her, trying to stomach all the thoughts and seeing her with someone else.” Regardless of how you feel about or define “emo rap,” this is just good music. Queen of Apologies is off HipNOTT Records’ 2010 Takeover Vol. 1, dropping Monday, January 11 right here on DJBooth.net.
Listen to More: Kyle Lucas Written by matt juss
Purple Ribbon Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The New Light" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.