“Emo rap” is less a genre label than a term used to denigrate emcees who indulge their sensitive side, but Kyle Lucas has apparently decided to take that appellation and run with it. Having declared his attraction to “emo chicks” on Queen of Apologies, the Vonnegutt frontman applies the concept literally on new single Picking up the Pieces. Simon Illa mans the boards, building his high-energy beat around a sample from Pierce the Veil‘s Caraphenalia (And no, that’s not Chipmunked – their voices are actually that high). The freestyle series alum comes with emotionally raw lyricism to match the instrumental, venting his frustrations with a chick who’s turned him into a drug-addled trainwreck before ironically noting that “It’s a therapy session whenever I’m in the booth.” Fellow freestyle contributor STS handles guest duties, expressing his remorse for letting a perfect relationship fall apart on the front. Is Lucas’ latest cross-genre experiment a success? That, of course, is for you to decide. Those digging it can look forward to a new album Coolest Kid on the Playground this summer, as well as catching the artist on this year’s Warped Tour.
Purple Ribbon Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The New Light" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.