“Emo rap” is less a genre label than a term used to denigrate emcees who indulge their sensitive side, but Kyle Lucas has apparently decided to take that appellation and run with it. Having declared his attraction to “emo chicks” on Queen of Apologies, the Vonnegutt frontman applies the concept literally on new single Picking up the Pieces. Simon Illa mans the boards, building his high-energy beat around a sample from Pierce the Veil‘s Caraphenalia (And no, that’s not Chipmunked – their voices are actually that high). The freestyle series alum comes with emotionally raw lyricism to match the instrumental, venting his frustrations with a chick who’s turned him into a drug-addled trainwreck before ironically noting that “It’s a therapy session whenever I’m in the booth.” Fellow freestyle contributor STS handles guest duties, expressing his remorse for letting a perfect relationship fall apart on the front. Is Lucas’ latest cross-genre experiment a success? That, of course, is for you to decide. Those digging it can look forward to a new album Coolest Kid on the Playground this summer, as well as catching the artist on this year’s Warped Tour.
Purple Ribbon Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The New Light" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.