Though my fellow Minne-ap natives will take every opportunity to tout the beautiful summers that make up for the Twin Cities’ bitterly cold winter months, I have to say that the season thus far’s been a little underwhelming. If you, too, need a little aural sunshine to get you through those cloudy days, you’re in luck—on his first feature, up-and-coming emcee Kyle Lucas, aims to raise readers’ spirits by bringing a New Light to the Booth. Though the Marrietta, Georgia rapper (also the frontman of alt-hop group Vonnegutt) describes this record as “that cliché rap posse cut thing,” what he and his crew bring to the table is nothing but fresh. Captain Midnite‘s nostalgically cheery boardwork, complete with a sampled hook (anyone know where it’s from?), sets the mood for Lucas’ upbeat, braggadocio-laced lyricism, as well as some equally exuberant bars from fellow underground emcees Sol and Grynch. If you’re looking for an easygoing jam with a feel-good, throwback vibe, you could hardly do better than The New Light, and fans can find plenty more radiant jams on his and Captain Midnite’s recently-released I Brought Dead Flowers to a FUNeral EP.
Written by richard on 07/7/09
Submit your Rating
Purple Ribbon Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Aftter the Show" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.