Though my fellow Minne-ap natives will take every opportunity to tout the beautiful summers that make up for the Twin Cities’ bitterly cold winter months, I have to say that the season thus far’s been a little underwhelming. If you, too, need a little aural sunshine to get you through those cloudy days, you’re in luck—on his first feature, up-and-coming emcee Kyle Lucas, aims to raise readers’ spirits by bringing a New Light to the Booth. Though the Marrietta, Georgia rapper (also the frontman of alt-hop group Vonnegutt) describes this record as “that cliché rap posse cut thing,” what he and his crew bring to the table is nothing but fresh. Captain Midnite‘s nostalgically cheery boardwork, complete with a sampled hook (anyone know where it’s from?), sets the mood for Lucas’ upbeat, braggadocio-laced lyricism, as well as some equally exuberant bars from fellow underground emcees Sol and Grynch. If you’re looking for an easygoing jam with a feel-good, throwback vibe, you could hardly do better than The New Light, and fans can find plenty more radiant jams on his and Captain Midnite’s recently-released I Brought Dead Flowers to a FUNeral EP.
Written by richard on 07/7/09
Purple Ribbon Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Aftter the Show" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.