“It’s 5 AM, you’re sitting at the hotel, looking at your mermaid friend.” With the very first line of her debut DJBooth feature, Danish singer/songwriter Kwamie Liv shows us that she’s worlds away from your average pop buzzmaker. Here, Liv and co-producer Baby Duka‘s dirgelike electronic boardwork sets the mood as the artist uses her breathy, lightly-Autotuned coo to describe scenes straight out of a David Lynch flick. Chilly and cryptic the record may be, but it showcases a mastery of aural atmosphere that’s sure to earn Kwamie praise from forward-looking R&B-lovers. If it’s piqued your interest, stay tuned; it’s currently unknown whether 5 AM will find its way onto any forthcoming project, but we’ll keep you posted on the unsigned up-and-comer’s plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 02/16/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Follow You" (2014)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.