“It’s 5 AM, you’re sitting at the hotel, looking at your mermaid friend.” With the very first line of her debut DJBooth feature, Danish singer/songwriter Kwamie Liv shows us that she’s worlds away from your average pop buzzmaker. Here, Liv and co-producer Baby Duka‘s dirgelike electronic boardwork sets the mood as the artist uses her breathy, lightly-Autotuned coo to describe scenes straight out of a David Lynch flick. Chilly and cryptic the record may be, but it showcases a mastery of aural atmosphere that’s sure to earn Kwamie praise from forward-looking R&B-lovers. If it’s piqued your interest, stay tuned; it’s currently unknown whether 5 AM will find its way onto any forthcoming project, but we’ll keep you posted on the unsigned up-and-comer’s plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 02/16/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Follow You" (2014)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.