“It’s 5 AM, you’re sitting at the hotel, looking at your mermaid friend.” With the very first line of her debut DJBooth feature, Danish singer/songwriter Kwamie Liv shows us that she’s worlds away from your average pop buzzmaker. Here, Liv and co-producer Baby Duka‘s dirgelike electronic boardwork sets the mood as the artist uses her breathy, lightly-Autotuned coo to describe scenes straight out of a David Lynch flick. Chilly and cryptic the record may be, but it showcases a mastery of aural atmosphere that’s sure to earn Kwamie praise from forward-looking R&B-lovers. If it’s piqued your interest, stay tuned; it’s currently unknown whether 5 AM will find its way onto any forthcoming project, but we’ll keep you posted on the unsigned up-and-comer’s plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 02/16/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Follow You" (2014)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.