Hip hop’s relationship with age is a conflicted one; young’uns lack the life experience to appreciate the roots of the game, while the genre’s founding fathers risk being labeled “washed-up” for failing to cater to new listeners. Despite all this, the 40-year-old KRS-One and fellow vet Buckshot seem to have found the hip hop fountain of youth, and they’ve joined forces to showcase their timeless freshness on a collaborative LP, entitled Survival Skills (due out September 15th). On third single The Way I Live, the twosome mix up the perfect set of ingredients to spark heads’ interest. Featuring the Queen of R&B herself, Ms. Mary J. Blige, this track is packed with the kind of wisdom and freshness that only seasoned veterans can bring to the table. With crisp rhymes from KRS and Buck, a classic MJB hook, and a beat by well-respected producer Black Milk, this cut will keep young’un’s and oldsters alike coming back for more.
Written by BK2LV on 09/7/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.