Hip hop’s relationship with age is a conflicted one; young’uns lack the life experience to appreciate the roots of the game, while the genre’s founding fathers risk being labeled “washed-up” for failing to cater to new listeners. Despite all this, the 40-year-old KRS-One and fellow vet Buckshot seem to have found the hip hop fountain of youth, and they’ve joined forces to showcase their timeless freshness on a collaborative LP, entitled Survival Skills (due out September 15th). On third single The Way I Live, the twosome mix up the perfect set of ingredients to spark heads’ interest. Featuring the Queen of R&B herself, Ms. Mary J. Blige, this track is packed with the kind of wisdom and freshness that only seasoned veterans can bring to the table. With crisp rhymes from KRS and Buck, a classic MJB hook, and a beat by well-respected producer Black Milk, this cut will keep young’un’s and oldsters alike coming back for more.
Written by BK2LV on 09/7/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)