Hip hop’s relationship with age is a conflicted one; young’uns lack the life experience to appreciate the roots of the game, while the genre’s founding fathers risk being labeled “washed-up” for failing to cater to new listeners. Despite all this, the 40-year-old KRS-One and fellow vet Buckshot seem to have found the hip hop fountain of youth, and they’ve joined forces to showcase their timeless freshness on a collaborative LP, entitled Survival Skills (due out September 15th). On third single The Way I Live, the twosome mix up the perfect set of ingredients to spark heads’ interest. Featuring the Queen of R&B herself, Ms. Mary J. Blige, this track is packed with the kind of wisdom and freshness that only seasoned veterans can bring to the table. With crisp rhymes from KRS and Buck, a classic MJB hook, and a beat by well-respected producer Black Milk, this cut will keep young’un’s and oldsters alike coming back for more.
Written by BK2LV on 09/7/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.