“Genius” is a label slung about so frequently that it’s hard to figure out exactly what it means—personally, I think it’s a marketing ploy cooked up to sell books of incredibly boring logic puzzles. Be that as it may, Krizz Kaliko‘s audacious (read: ballsy) decision to bestow the title upon himself can only bode well for his sophomore LP. Considering the embarrassment potential of releasing a bad album titled Genius, the Kansas City native and frequent Tech N9ne collaborator must know he’s got something great up his sleeve, and new single Misunderstood backs that conjecture up. From Kaliko and co-producer Michael “Seven” Summers’ ‘60s psychedelia-influenced beat, complete with a groovy, Time of the Season-esque keyboard solo, to the artist’s bouncy flow, to his breathy sung hook, this head-bobbing pop concoction drips with left-of-center crossover appeal (see Gnarls Barkley). Less time-consuming and much more fun than a book of Mensa brainteasers, Misunderstood is sure to stir up anticipation for the July 14th release of Krizz’ second LP. In the meantime, though, keep it locked to the Booth for DJ Z‘s exclusive video interview with K.K., shot backstage at ‘09’s Rock the Bells opener.
Written by richard on 07/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Beautiful Music" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)