“Genius” is a label slung about so frequently that it’s hard to figure out exactly what it means—personally, I think it’s a marketing ploy cooked up to sell books of incredibly boring logic puzzles. Be that as it may, Krizz Kaliko‘s audacious (read: ballsy) decision to bestow the title upon himself can only bode well for his sophomore LP. Considering the embarrassment potential of releasing a bad album titled Genius, the Kansas City native and frequent Tech N9ne collaborator must know he’s got something great up his sleeve, and new single Misunderstood backs that conjecture up. From Kaliko and co-producer Michael “Seven” Summers’ ‘60s psychedelia-influenced beat, complete with a groovy, Time of the Season-esque keyboard solo, to the artist’s bouncy flow, to his breathy sung hook, this head-bobbing pop concoction drips with left-of-center crossover appeal (see Gnarls Barkley). Less time-consuming and much more fun than a book of Mensa brainteasers, Misunderstood is sure to stir up anticipation for the July 14th release of Krizz’ second LP. In the meantime, though, keep it locked to the Booth for DJ Z‘s exclusive video interview with K.K., shot backstage at ‘09’s Rock the Bells opener.
Written by richard on 07/1/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Beautiful Music" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.