Kooley High‘s last feature, unreleased cut Sky View, left many in the Booth convinced that, if such a high-quality track was left on the cutting room floor, what did make the cut must be nothing short of legendary. Today, we get the first indicator of whether Eastern Standard Time will live up to those expectations. Newly-leaked track Ya Times Up finds the North Carolina natives showcasing a more chilled-out side of their sound than on the aforementioned outtake; backed by group member Foolery‘s head-nodding, piano-led boardwork (complete with cuts by DJ Ill Digits on the hook), the crew deliver bars packed with the self-assured, allusive wit fans have come to know and love – in fact, the only lyrical misstep I heard was the use of “Chris Kattan” and “funny” in the same sentence. I’ma give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they meant “funny” in the “peculiar” sense. Nitpicks aside, this track should only get fans more excited for the July 27, release of Kooley High’s latest set. In addition, fans in the NYC area will be able to catch Kooley High (along with Phil Adé, King Mez and more) at a Booth-sponsored showcase to be held at S.O.B.‘s on the 28th.
Written by richard on 07/15/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Kooley Is High" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.