With the DMV finally earning a place in the national hip-hop spotlight my pick for the next region to blow is N. Carolina. With cats like 9th Wonder setting the foundation, a new generation of N.C. emcees are set to take the state’s rep to another level, including the fresher than fresh Kooley High. Like the last time we heard from Kooley (the Booth-approved So Long), their new track Sky View features a predictably stellar verse from The Paraplegic King Mez, but equally responsible for the track’s smooth appeal is a coolly smoking beat from DJ Prince and, of course, the collective rhyme work of the Kooley crew. Other than the absence of rhymes from group member Rapsody, who’s one of my favorite new rappers, there’s hard to find much to complain about here, so I recommend you put up your tray table, lean back and just enjoy the View. Sky View didn’t make the final cut of Kooley High’s upcoming album Eastern Standard Time, and if this track isn’t good enough, we’re in for a hell of an album come July 27.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/7/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Kooley Is High" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.