Though this record’s title will lead some to assume it focuses on a certain smokable substance (and it most definitely has that blissfully mellow vibe), North Carolina five-piece Kooley High‘s first Booth feature, Kooley Is High (making its online premiere here at DJBooth.net) is more of a love letter to old-school hip-hop—in particular, the jazz-influenced sounds and witty lyricism of Amityville vets De La Soul. Though the nostalgic rhymes of Charlie Smarts, Tab-One, and Rapsody offer ample opportunity to play “Spot the Classic Hip-Hop Reference,” I’ll leave that to Booth reviewers—I’ll simply say that, by combining a beat that’s a captivating listen on its own (the jazzy Stakes Is High, originally featured on producer DeLa‘s Atmosphere Airlines), with witty, thoughtful lyrics, the group’s hit upon a surefire recipe for hip-hop magic. If you agree, keep an eye out for the forthcoming Kooley Is High mixtape, presented by illroots, DJ K-Salaam, and Ace Jones.
Written by richard on 03/2/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.