Though this record’s title will lead some to assume it focuses on a certain smokable substance (and it most definitely has that blissfully mellow vibe), North Carolina five-piece Kooley High‘s first Booth feature, Kooley Is High (making its online premiere here at DJBooth.net) is more of a love letter to old-school hip-hop—in particular, the jazz-influenced sounds and witty lyricism of Amityville vets De La Soul. Though the nostalgic rhymes of Charlie Smarts, Tab-One, and Rapsody offer ample opportunity to play “Spot the Classic Hip-Hop Reference,” I’ll leave that to Booth reviewers—I’ll simply say that, by combining a beat that’s a captivating listen on its own (the jazzy Stakes Is High, originally featured on producer DeLa‘s Atmosphere Airlines), with witty, thoughtful lyrics, the group’s hit upon a surefire recipe for hip-hop magic. If you agree, keep an eye out for the forthcoming Kooley Is High mixtape, presented by illroots, DJ K-Salaam, and Ace Jones.
Written by richard on 03/2/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.