Last we heard from Koncept, the NYC buzzmaker’s gaze was fixed firmly on the future as pondered his Aspirations for the years ahead. While a strong focus on your goals is healthy, there’s no escaping your past. Thus, on newly-leaked album standout Getting Home, the emcee takes a moment to survey his progress to date, reliving the struggles of his formative years as well as the good times. Over Brown Bag All-Stars crewmate J57‘s wistful, soul-sampled Kon harks back to his days as a “misfit roamin’ wild,” abusing narcotics to stay on an even keel. Though Kon acknowledges that life wasn’t always sunshine and roses, he concludes on a positive note, giving thanks for the family members who gave him the strength he needed to pursue his dreams: “...I’ve had the greatest mother, and a great stepfather who helped create my brother / So who am I to complain once gained a better living? / I’m better off than those who never know they’re ever gifted.” B.K. rhymesayer Sene showcases his versatility on the guest tip, contributing smooth, understated sung vocals to the chorus and outro. In addition to copping Koncept’s awaken LP, released yesterday and available now online, fans can also watch this record’s official video.
Written by richard on 12/14/11
Submit your Rating
Koncept/Brown Bag AllStars
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Day Dreaming" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.