Ever bust out your NES to revisit some retro-gaming memories and pop in a copy of Super Mario or Castlevania, only to find that dust in the cartridge has transformed those familiar stages into glitchy (but dope-looking) labyrinths of jacked-up sprites and alphanumeric characters? That’s a pretty apt analogy for what KON Sci‘s done with ‘90’s hip-hop on his first solo feature, making its world premiere in the Booth. “Bringing the gutter back” is the Carolina rapper/producer and MindsOne member’s stated mission on Dire Straits, and bring it back he does—but with a few surreal twists. The gritty, boom-bap percussion that forms the backbone of his instrumental is accompanied by garbled electronic whirs and tightly-compressed guitar crunch, and the artist’s nostalgic lyricism comes filtered through a thick layer of post-Aesop Rock free-association. DJ Noumenon provides the perfect question-mark to cap off KON’s enigmatic retro pastiche, scratching on KRS-One‘s iconic line, “Rappers are in danger,” as the record rolls to a close. Intrigued? Then keep it locked for more fresh song releases leading up to the fall arrival of KON’s And Beyond LP via Soulspazm.
Written by richard on 09/26/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My Time" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)