Ever bust out your NES to revisit some retro-gaming memories and pop in a copy of Super Mario or Castlevania, only to find that dust in the cartridge has transformed those familiar stages into glitchy (but dope-looking) labyrinths of jacked-up sprites and alphanumeric characters? That’s a pretty apt analogy for what KON Sci‘s done with ‘90’s hip-hop on his first solo feature, making its world premiere in the Booth. “Bringing the gutter back” is the Carolina rapper/producer and MindsOne member’s stated mission on Dire Straits, and bring it back he does—but with a few surreal twists. The gritty, boom-bap percussion that forms the backbone of his instrumental is accompanied by garbled electronic whirs and tightly-compressed guitar crunch, and the artist’s nostalgic lyricism comes filtered through a thick layer of post-Aesop Rock free-association. DJ Noumenon provides the perfect question-mark to cap off KON’s enigmatic retro pastiche, scratching on KRS-One‘s iconic line, “Rappers are in danger,” as the record rolls to a close. Intrigued? Then keep it locked for more fresh song releases leading up to the fall arrival of KON’s And Beyond LP via Soulspazm.
Written by richard on 09/26/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.