Derived from an Old French word meaning “to sing clearly,” “Chanticleer” has evolved into an metonymic term for “rooster” through its use by Chaucer and others as the name of a famous folkloric character. It’s also the name of Coastal Carolina University’s athletic teams (adopted to match S.C.‘s famous Gamecocks). How does that tie into the theme of Booth newcomer Kokayi‘s latest single? I couldn’t tell you – aside from the fact that the record should serve as a proper wake-up call for those who’ve been sleeping on the Grammy-nominated singer/songwriter/emcee/producer. Here, the DMV repper showcases the full breadth of his skills, cooking up a midtempo, organ-driven backdrop for lyrical meditations on authenticity and originality, delivered in a booming and melodic flow. On the chorus, he shows off his singing voice, enlisting his own children for a little Hard Knock Life-esque backing vocals (along with some well-placed dinosaur noises). Think Koyaki’s found the cure for musical mediocrity? More dope and innovative new material awaits on his Robots & Dinosaurs LP, available now via QN5.
Written by richard on 12/12/10
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)