Derived from an Old French word meaning “to sing clearly,” “Chanticleer” has evolved into an metonymic term for “rooster” through its use by Chaucer and others as the name of a famous folkloric character. It’s also the name of Coastal Carolina University’s athletic teams (adopted to match S.C.‘s famous Gamecocks). How does that tie into the theme of Booth newcomer Kokayi‘s latest single? I couldn’t tell you – aside from the fact that the record should serve as a proper wake-up call for those who’ve been sleeping on the Grammy-nominated singer/songwriter/emcee/producer. Here, the DMV repper showcases the full breadth of his skills, cooking up a midtempo, organ-driven backdrop for lyrical meditations on authenticity and originality, delivered in a booming and melodic flow. On the chorus, he shows off his singing voice, enlisting his own children for a little Hard Knock Life-esque backing vocals (along with some well-placed dinosaur noises). Think Koyaki’s found the cure for musical mediocrity? More dope and innovative new material awaits on his Robots & Dinosaurs LP, available now via QN5.
Written by richard on 12/12/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.