Derived from an Old French word meaning “to sing clearly,” “Chanticleer” has evolved into an metonymic term for “rooster” through its use by Chaucer and others as the name of a famous folkloric character. It’s also the name of Coastal Carolina University’s athletic teams (adopted to match S.C.‘s famous Gamecocks). How does that tie into the theme of Booth newcomer Kokayi‘s latest single? I couldn’t tell you – aside from the fact that the record should serve as a proper wake-up call for those who’ve been sleeping on the Grammy-nominated singer/songwriter/emcee/producer. Here, the DMV repper showcases the full breadth of his skills, cooking up a midtempo, organ-driven backdrop for lyrical meditations on authenticity and originality, delivered in a booming and melodic flow. On the chorus, he shows off his singing voice, enlisting his own children for a little Hard Knock Life-esque backing vocals (along with some well-placed dinosaur noises). Think Koyaki’s found the cure for musical mediocrity? More dope and innovative new material awaits on his Robots & Dinosaurs LP, available now via QN5.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.