Before I heard London emcee Kobi Onyame‘s latest effort, I was expecting something similar to Dreams, a catchy, high energy track, which was first featured at the Booth back in July. Boy, was I ever wrong. On Heartbeat, Kobi shows his versatility with a edgy, extremely emotional cut. Onayme pulls double duty, composing the heavy beat, set off by soulful piano instrumentals and rhyming about the struggles to reach ones lofty goals no matter what obstacles stand in the way. Atlanta’s own Danay Marieny lends her chalky vocals to the chorus, making the record powerful and all the more haunting. Heartbeat can be found on Kobi’s Green Green Grasses album, which serves as a warm-up project for his Greener Pastures EP, scheduled for early 2013.
Written by Lucas G. on 11/8/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.