Before I heard London emcee Kobi Onyame‘s latest effort, I was expecting something similar to Dreams, a catchy, high energy track, which was first featured at the Booth back in July. Boy, was I ever wrong. On Heartbeat, Kobi shows his versatility with a edgy, extremely emotional cut. Onayme pulls double duty, composing the heavy beat, set off by soulful piano instrumentals and rhyming about the struggles to reach ones lofty goals no matter what obstacles stand in the way. Atlanta’s own Danay Marieny lends her chalky vocals to the chorus, making the record powerful and all the more haunting. Heartbeat can be found on Kobi’s Green Green Grasses album, which serves as a warm-up project for his Greener Pastures EP, scheduled for early 2013.
Written by Lucas G. on 11/8/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.