Before I heard London emcee Kobi Onyame‘s latest effort, I was expecting something similar to Dreams, a catchy, high energy track, which was first featured at the Booth back in July. Boy, was I ever wrong. On Heartbeat, Kobi shows his versatility with a edgy, extremely emotional cut. Onayme pulls double duty, composing the heavy beat, set off by soulful piano instrumentals and rhyming about the struggles to reach ones lofty goals no matter what obstacles stand in the way. Atlanta’s own Danay Marieny lends her chalky vocals to the chorus, making the record powerful and all the more haunting. Heartbeat can be found on Kobi’s Green Green Grasses album, which serves as a warm-up project for his Greener Pastures EP, scheduled for early 2013.
Written by Lucas G. on 11/8/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.