Before I heard London emcee Kobi Onyame‘s latest effort, I was expecting something similar to Dreams, a catchy, high energy track, which was first featured at the Booth back in July. Boy, was I ever wrong. On Heartbeat, Kobi shows his versatility with a edgy, extremely emotional cut. Onayme pulls double duty, composing the heavy beat, set off by soulful piano instrumentals and rhyming about the struggles to reach ones lofty goals no matter what obstacles stand in the way. Atlanta’s own Danay Marieny lends her chalky vocals to the chorus, making the record powerful and all the more haunting. Heartbeat can be found on Kobi’s Green Green Grasses album, which serves as a warm-up project for his Greener Pastures EP, scheduled for early 2013.
Written by Lucas G. on 11/8/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.