There’s nothing like a brush with death to clue you into how small and insignificant you, and your actions, are in the grand scheme of things. Just ask Numonics, who came up with the chords to EP title track Never Enough while in the hospital, recovering from what he believed at the time to be a potentially fatal heart attack. The final world premiere off the South Floridian beatsmith’s forthcoming, Booth-sponsored street release with emcee Knowledge Medina, this bracing cut finds the underground rhymesayer taking lyrical inspiration from his behind-the-boards partner’s existential crisis. Over Numonics’ moody, rock-informed arrangement, Medina vividly evokes the feeling of helplessness in the face of human finitude: “...to only find you’re slowly dying and won’t get your wishes / Seems like the sh*t you did is just insufficient.” Like a true existentialist, however, he doesn’t despair but rather recommits himself to the grind, resolving to make the most of every second he’s got left. Have the emcee-producer duo succeeded in elevating your mindstate with this dark, yet ultimately uplifting jam? If so, then don’t miss the rest of the atmospheric beats and insightful rhymes to be found on their Never Enough EP, set to hit our mixtape page Feb. 7.
Written by richard on 02/1/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.