The tunes being spun at radio are a far cry from the ‘80s and ‘90s but, with the sheer number of prominent artists who continue to embody the spirit of the old-school, it’s a wonder how heads can still fall for the idea that hip-hop’s met its maker. Knowledge Medina, for one, isn’t interested in debating whether the genre’s Dead or Alive—as he explains on his latest EP leak (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!) he simply wants to be part of its resurrection. Project collaborator Numonics goes appropriately retro on the production tip, layering a chopped string-brass loop over a head-noddable rhythm section as the S. Florida native offers his blueprint for rap’s rejuvenation: “We could take it back to breakdancin’, real rappin’, DJs’ ill scratchin’.” On the back, REKS shouts-out a few of the many rhymesayers still carrying the torch for real hip-hop: “Termanology lives, Skyzoo lives, Slaughterhouse, talkin’ ‘bout what we’re givin’ to the kids.” Do you share Medina’s nostalgia for the genre’s past, and his hopes for the future? Then you won’t want to miss the progressive yet retro beats and rhymes to be found on Medina and Numonics’ Never Enough EP, scheduled to hit our mixtape page for free streaming and download Feb. 7.
Written by richard on 01/8/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.