Pop icon Nelly Furtado was discussing her favorite artists in a recent interview when K’NAAN’s name happened to come up. Almost word for word, she said, “You know how a lot of artists suck these days? Well, K’Naan doesn’t suck.” And how right she was. In honor of this year’s South African World Cup, the Somali singer/rapper/songwriter/activist has released a remix of one of his biggest singles, Wavin’ Flag, which will also serve as the official anthem of the World Cup. Wavin’ Flag (The Celebration Remix), as the latest version has been dubbed, is very similar to the original, but producer Kerry “Krucial” Brothers’ inclusion of heavier drum beats and a slightly more raw, rhythmic feel are satiating enhancements. His sentiments and shouts of victory retain their passion, and if at some point during the track you’re reminded of The Lion King, don’t feel bad (I know I’m not the only one). If you haven’t picked up K’NAAN’s sophomore album Troubadour, which houses the original Wavin’ Flag, don’t waste any time in adding it to your collection. You’re already behind.
Written by Matty K on 03/16/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Soobax ft. MWafrica & M-1" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)