Pop icon Nelly Furtado was discussing her favorite artists in a recent interview when K’NAAN’s name happened to come up. Almost word for word, she said, “You know how a lot of artists suck these days? Well, K’Naan doesn’t suck.” And how right she was. In honor of this year’s South African World Cup, the Somali singer/rapper/songwriter/activist has released a remix of one of his biggest singles, Wavin’ Flag, which will also serve as the official anthem of the World Cup. Wavin’ Flag (The Celebration Remix), as the latest version has been dubbed, is very similar to the original, but producer Kerry “Krucial” Brothers’ inclusion of heavier drum beats and a slightly more raw, rhythmic feel are satiating enhancements. His sentiments and shouts of victory retain their passion, and if at some point during the track you’re reminded of The Lion King, don’t feel bad (I know I’m not the only one). If you haven’t picked up K’NAAN’s sophomore album Troubadour, which houses the original Wavin’ Flag, don’t waste any time in adding it to your collection. You’re already behind.
Written by Matty K on 03/16/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Soobax ft. MWafrica & M-1" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.