Pop icon Nelly Furtado was discussing her favorite artists in a recent interview when K’NAAN’s name happened to come up. Almost word for word, she said, “You know how a lot of artists suck these days? Well, K’Naan doesn’t suck.” And how right she was. In honor of this year’s South African World Cup, the Somali singer/rapper/songwriter/activist has released a remix of one of his biggest singles, Wavin’ Flag, which will also serve as the official anthem of the World Cup. Wavin’ Flag (The Celebration Remix), as the latest version has been dubbed, is very similar to the original, but producer Kerry “Krucial” Brothers’ inclusion of heavier drum beats and a slightly more raw, rhythmic feel are satiating enhancements. His sentiments and shouts of victory retain their passion, and if at some point during the track you’re reminded of The Lion King, don’t feel bad (I know I’m not the only one). If you haven’t picked up K’NAAN’s sophomore album Troubadour, which houses the original Wavin’ Flag, don’t waste any time in adding it to your collection. You’re already behind.
Written by Matty K on 03/16/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Soobax ft. MWafrica & M-1" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.