Update: Click “Listen Now” above to watch K’NAAN’s “Is Anybody Out There?” video.
With his rise to prominence over the last several years, K’NAAN has demonstrated himself to be much more than a rapper. In addition to dope tunes, he provides a much-needed voice to the struggles and dreams of Third World dwellers and an urgent perspective on global affairs. On newly-released EP single Is Anybody Out There?, however, the Somali-Canadian rhymesayer turns his attention to issues that may hit a little closer to home for the average Booth reader. Hitmaking producer (and OneRepublic frontman) Ryan Tedder handles production on this anthemic selection, layering strings and music-box synths over a syncopated rhythm section as K’NAAN tells the stories of a young woman and man plagued by loneliness and insecurity—the former ashamed that her Hispanic features don’t jibe with prevailing standards of beauty, and the latter driven to drug abuse by the pain of being ignored by his father. Nelly Furtado assists on the guest tip, encapsulating these lost souls’ cries for help in a soaring chorus and bridge. Released today, K’NAAN’s More Beautiful Than Silence is available now on iTunes. Keep it locked for further details on the artist’s junior album, scheduled to drop this spring.
Written by richard on 01/24/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Soobax ft. MWafrica & M-1" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.