In 34 years on this Earth, K’NAAN‘s seen more trouble and strife than most of us will, hopefully, in our lifetimes. I mean, the man did live in Mogadishu during the Somali Civil War. Love, however, is the great equalizer, and no amount of perspective can shield one from the pain of heartbreak; on Hurt Me Tomorrow the lead single off his long-awaited new studio album, the Booth fave continues to incorporate closer-to-home themes into his globally-conscious pop style. In this case, the Toronto resident grapples with the universally sh*tty experience of having a significant other threaten to walk out of your life. Backed by Ryan Tedder‘s descending piano chords, K’NAAN regretfully informs the girl he loves that he can’t work a breakup into his busy schedule. Despite the emotionally-charged subject matter, he peppers his bars with engaging, allusive punchlines: “Girl you bring me to my knees, Nancy Kerrigan.” So, does this eminently-relatable jam bode well for Mr. Warsame’s next LP? I think I know the answer but, as always, y’all get the final say. Those digging this video single can cop the record now on iTunes, as well as keeping it locked for the latest tunes leading up to the release of Country, God or the Girl.
Written by richard on 08/4/12
Fresh off making his return to record store shelves and radio airwaves with January's acclaimed More Beautiful Than Silence EP, Somali-Canadian hip-hop star and activist K'NAAN has released the full-length follow-up to 2009...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Soobax ft. MWafrica & M-1" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.