In 34 years on this Earth, K’NAAN‘s seen more trouble and strife than most of us will, hopefully, in our lifetimes. I mean, the man did live in Mogadishu during the Somali Civil War. Love, however, is the great equalizer, and no amount of perspective can shield one from the pain of heartbreak; on Hurt Me Tomorrow the lead single off his long-awaited new studio album, the Booth fave continues to incorporate closer-to-home themes into his globally-conscious pop style. In this case, the Toronto resident grapples with the universally sh*tty experience of having a significant other threaten to walk out of your life. Backed by Ryan Tedder‘s descending piano chords, K’NAAN regretfully informs the girl he loves that he can’t work a breakup into his busy schedule. Despite the emotionally-charged subject matter, he peppers his bars with engaging, allusive punchlines: “Girl you bring me to my knees, Nancy Kerrigan.” So, does this eminently-relatable jam bode well for Mr. Warsame’s next LP? I think I know the answer but, as always, y’all get the final say. Those digging this video single can cop the record now on iTunes, as well as keeping it locked for the latest tunes leading up to the release of Country, God or the Girl.
Written by richard on 08/4/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Soobax ft. MWafrica & M-1" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.