Since Day ‘n’ Nite catapulted Kid CuDi to pop stardom, big names and unknowns alike have been bombarding the ‘net with their own renditions of the sleeper hit—which we’ve largely avoided featuring, since endless retreads can get old pretty fast. If there’s one artist who can bring new insight to an arguably overexposed track, though, it’s Booth favorite K’Naan. On this new freestyle, leaked to the ‘net via Wale‘s Twitter feed, the hip-hop Troubadour sticks close to CuDi’s vocal blueprint, but uses the ennui-laden cut as a springboard to discuss a more serious issue—namely, the Dayless Nite that faces residents of his home country. It’s the closing verse that hits the hardest here; describing the recent rescue of Captain Richard Phillips from the perspective of a Somalian who chose a life of piracy over one of crushing poverty, the rapper reminds us that the men shot in the altercation were simply human beings struggling to survive in a strife-ridden environment. K’naan’s talent for encouraging contemplation of global issues by way of a catchy tune is on full display here, and the subject is certainly one that bears discussion—any thoughts, readers?
Written by richard on 06/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Soobax ft. MWafrica & M-1" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.